Title: Ballet / Dance Faculty Position
Wage Classification: Salaried
Reports to: School Director and Office Manager
Location: Charlotte / Concord, North Carolina
Piedmont School of Music & Dance seeks an energetic candidate with significant experience teaching ballet technique to children ages 11 to 18. Candidate must demonstrate a strong classical ballet knowledge, have a basic knowledge of jazz and contemporary dance styles, must be a team player, teach the school’s curriculum, and have expertise in teaching ballet, pointe, and choreography for this particular age group. Candidate must be available to work on Saturdays and during scheduled special events.
Qualifications – Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree and/or teaching/professional experience in a nationally recognized company and/or school is preferred. Experience teaching and choreographing for young children is a must. Pedagogy training required.
2. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to provide leadership
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems
- Previous experience teaching children
- General Responsibilities
- Teach ballet classes for Beginning to Advanced levels (ages 10-18) including technique, pointe, with working knowledge of different classical styles.
- Teach jazz and contemporary for Beginning levels (ages 10-12).
- Choreograph and/or assist in school showcases, and end of year Spring Performance, competitions, and assist in production responsibilities including The Nutcracker.
- Possess strong awareness about the various needs and wants of students and parents
- Recognize that children respond to situations and environments differently
- Actively participate in individual and group faculty meetings and workshops regarding syllabus development and implementation
- Maintain up-to-date records of student attendance and performance in class
- With the supervision of the School Director, coordinate parent/student conferences and/or communication related to student performance as needed
- Enforce school uniform and grooming policies
Professional and Technical Competencies
- Support the philosophy and mission of Piedmont School of Music & Dance.
- Must be a self-starter
- Must possess excellent organizational skills, good collaborator
- Communicates conflicts, concerns, or matters of urgency to appropriate supervisor
- Work in a detail-oriented manner, is resourceful and flexible, and is able to handle tasks simultaneously
- Work independently and as part of team
- Knowledge of Classical Ballet
- Jazz & Contemporary Fundamentals
- Classroom Management
Equipment Knowledge and Use
- PC and software
- Access to online music
- Familiarity with Zoom
- Standard office equipment
- Disclaimer Statement
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate description of the current job, or to require that other, or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items:
- Cover letter (complete with salary history)
- Current resume
- List of professional references
Return the above items via email to Director@Music-Dance.org | Attn: Dance Instructor
Salary is commensurate with experience
Piedmont School of Music & Dance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Piedmont School of Music & Dance
Piedmont School of Music & Dance offers dance and music lessons to students ages 3 to 18.
The School's dance program, while strongly rooted in the fundamentals of classical ballet, has strong jazz, tap, contemporary, and lyrical programs. PSMD presents two full-length ballets each season including The Nutcracker with the Salisbury Symphony Orchestra and attends two regional dance competitions. Piedmont is well-known for training versatile dancers in a fun and nurturing environment.